When it comes to your home’s plumbing system, knowledge isn’t just power, it can also save you a good deal of money.
For example, did you know that the Environmental Protection Agency estimates that fully 10 percent of all homes in the country have water leaks that waste 90 gallons or more each day? What’s more, according to New York City’s Environmental Protection Agency, that could end up costing you about 45 cents a day. It doesn’t sound like much money, but if that undetected leak continues for a year, you’ve just lost $164.50 in those 12 months. Prices may be lower in your town, but, still, who wants to waste even $100 a year on a water leak?
HERE ARE SOME MORE PLUMBING STATISTICS WE FEEL YOU SHOULD KNOW:
- Across the country, all the leaks in a typical average household can waste up to 10,000 gallons of water a year. Put in perspective, the EPA says this is the equivalent of the amount of water used in 270 loads of laundry.
- Fixing the easy-to-fix leaks, and most leaks tend to be easy to fix, can save you about 10 percent on your water bill. Easy-to-fix leaks include dripping faucets and worn toilet flappers.
- If your home’s irrigation system has a leak, even a hose tear that’s no bigger than a dime thick, can waste 6,300 gallons of water per month!
- If a plumbing pipe breaks open with just a 1/8-inch crack and you can’t staunch the flow quickly, expect about 250 gallons of water to leak out a day. And that’s just for a 1/8-inch crack!
THOSE ARE THE SCARY PLUMBING STATS! NOW HERE ARE SOME “FUN” PLUMBING STATS:
- The weight of 100 feet of a one-inch plastic pipe filled with water is 57 pounds; a one-inch, 100-foot plastic pipe filled with water will weigh 206 pounds! A two-inch plastic pipe will weigh 217 pounds, while an iron pipe will weigh a whopping 512 pounds.
- If water is flowing at just 0.75 gallons per minute (GPM), it will take 80 seconds to fill a gallon jug. If the water is flowing at 4 GPM it will take just 15 seconds to fill that jug.
If a sink, toilet, or pipe has sprung a leak you can’t easily fix, we hope you’ll contact Plumbing Dynamics right away to save water and money when you have a leak in Carrollton, TX! Give us a call at 214-929-3431 today.